Who can apply?
The Call for Project Submissions for Crossing Borders 2018 is now open!
Application Deadline. 16 April 2018
Crossing Borders is looking for documentary professionals (directors, producers, writers) coming from Europe and Asia who have experience in their domestic market but strive to work in the international field. European filmmakers must have a project in development/early production with a relation to Asia.
We are looking for:
• All types of factual media, especially television series, creative documentaries, multiplatform projects
• genre films, e.g. history, science, arts, wildlife, natural history, environment or human interest
• great stories that need additional development before being pitched internationally
• stories and characters that can reach global audiences
Click here to view past Crossing Borders films to get a better idea of what we are looking for.
Note: Projects that have already been pitched internationally are not eligible.
What to submit by 16 April 2018
When applying please send the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Application Form - SIGNED
• a 2-page presentation of the documentary project
• a financing plan and estimated completion date for project
• director’s CV and/or producer’s CV
• a short profile of the production company if applicable
• a short self-presentation video stating your motivation to take part in the training*
• a trailer and/or examples of previous work
*Applicants should briefly state why specifically a European-Asian exchange and collaboration is relevant to their work and projects, even if this may seem apparent by the content of their proposed film projects. We will be looking for participants who show an ambition and the capacity to build longer-term relationships in the “foreign region” with which they will be collaborating during the workshops.
• All video material must be submitted via link to stream or download
• All applications must be in English
• All participants are required to have a working knowledge of English
• All applicants may attend the workshop with one team partner maximum and at least one person from the project team must participate in all 3 workshops
• Projects should be well researched and developed to a stage where a comprehensive synopsis, outline, initial budget and schedule are available. This will ensure the participants to benefit from the condensed workshop schedule to the full extent. Furthermore, a first short trailer version of the project should be available for workshop no. 1 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The participants of Crossing Borders will be selected by a selection committee.
In the final selection, an emphasis will be placed on the quality and international potential of the proposed documentary film projects, and on the previous experience of the applicants themselves.
As soon as the selection of the Crossing Border participants is official, all applicants will receive an email telling them if their projects have been accepted or rejected. The applications and proposed documentary projects will be treated confidentially. All rights on the developed projects naturally remain with the participants.
Need more information?
Cecilie Bolvinkel: email@example.com
Dorothea Schiebel: firstname.lastname@example.org