IDFA Bertha Fund Europe: International Co-Production
Institution: IDFA, Bertha Foundation
The IDFA Bertha Fund Europe stimulates the collaboration between independent European producers and producers from developing countries by supporting the production and distribution of documentaries realized through co-productions.
Through two different categories the program offers support to creative documentaries made by filmmakers from Africa, Asia, the Middle-East, Latin America and parts of Eastern Europe, that use strong visual treatments to tell compelling stories and have the potential to reach a global audience.
International co-production: This category is for documentary projects that have a director from a developing country and are realized through international co-productions, in which at least one European and one non-European producer is involved. Projects can be in any stage of production. The application has to be submitted by the European co-producer and should involve a creative element, like a key crewmember or postproduction service, from Europe.
Who can apply
- a production company located and active for at least two years in a country participating in the MEDIA sub-program and owned (directly or by majority participation) by nationals from such countries
- the producer must show a track record in documentary production and international co-production
- should be creative documentaries with a minimum length of 60 minutes with international distribution potential
- should be in the production phase
- should be finalized no later than in 2016 (this has to be reflected in a realistic time schedule of the project)
- should be by filmmakers who are nationals of a country as defined on the DAC-list of the OECD and primarily live and work in that country
- should be shot in one of the countries as defined on the DAC-list
- should have at least one producer in a country on the DAC-list (not a member of Eurimages and not part of the MEDIA sub-program countries) and one based in the MEDIA sub-program countries
- the share of the co-producer(s) coming from countries participating in the MEDIA sub-program must amount to a minimum of 20% at the time of first payment and cannot exceed 70%
- the co-production structure should be reflected in a co-production agreement
The contribution for international co-production per project is 40,000 euros.
Types of funding available
- Development and Production Support
- Project Development